This week, our teacher challenged us to find a Scholarly Article that is related our blog theme and to write our thoughts about. Since my blog theme corresponds with comedy, I found this article about comedy influencing politics. Click here for the article page.

This article is a transcript of an NPR News podcast about comedy influence on politics. Callers from around the country called in to give their input on this topic. Erica from Alaska said that comedy in politics makes citizens feel like they are on the same “level” as political leaders. It creates a sense of equality, and doesn’t make them feel more elite. Jennifer, another caller on the show, said that comedy makes things easier to remember. Little acts of comedy was what made leaders get remembered after they had been long gone.

I agree with both of these callers. I think that humor really sets the mood for situations, and for something as controversial as politics, it makes the situation less tense. Additionally, I thought it was interesting to hear from Erica about how she thought that it made everyone equal. In a world of people being put under one another in rank, it is important to make people feel equal so no one is scared into voting for someone because they don’t want to deal with what the consequences might be. All in all, I think it is really important to incorporate humor with politics. Comment what you think about this topic!

5 thoughts on “How HUMOR affects POLITICS

1. Hello!
    Most people think politics are just another obstacles to get over but the incorporation with comedy and history can change peoples opinion on the changes of politics. Do you know what type of comedy that is influenced on this articular?
    csrichard.edublogs.org

2. While I was reading I relay thought about comediennes that this article might apply to. One I thought of was Last Week Tonight witch I regularly Watch and even watched just last night. This article was extremely interesting and fun to know about.

3. Hey Addie,
    I think humor in politics is important too! What are some examples of comedy used in politics? What is your favorite joke?
    -Jeffrey M.

1. Hi Jeffrey! Thanks for stopping by my blog. The most popular jokes in politics that I have seen have been when those running make fun themselves about a skill they aren’t very good at. For example, President Obama in a speech once mentioned how funny he looks when he bowls. Many of the jokes in politics aren’t a traditional joke, such as a knock-knock joke. As for my favorite joke, I mostly like dad jokes.

4. What’s up Addie!
    I agree with what you said about how humor can lighten the mood in a conversation! Erica said that humorous politicians will make citizens feel equal with them and I think that’s really important! After all, are you willing to support someone who makes you seem inferior?